Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wesch and YouTube Anthropology

In this video, Dr. Wesch talks about the reasons people post/interplay on youtube.  While not comprehensive, it just takes a look at one of the many aspects for YouTube.  Personally, I don't watch youtube personality videos or vlogs.  Instead, I use it primarily to watch historical footage, music videos, and old tv shows.


But Wesch is examining why people post.  He cites many reasons such as networked individualism, participant observation, and self-understanding.  It seems to be fighting the alienation of modern society.  People want to be heard and/or have fun with like minded-people, most likely complete strangers. Some people want a voice, whatever the subject they feel is important to them.  Basically, we want to do our own thing and seek others who feel the same.


Some activities we have can be solitary.  Even this class feels to solitary at times.  Basically, we need to have more interaction, since we are discussing Web 2.0   I do like collab, as Wesch calls them, particularly on something fun.  I enjoy posting and reading the class wikis.  I like others ideas.  Perhaps doing a video with participatory culture: whether it be a collab of all of us on a project, or making parodies would be fun.  Look how many flash mobs did the Hallelujah Chorus or the Sound of Music from a year ago.

1 comment:

  1. As i'm belatedly going back over a lot of this material this really hits home. I'm watching a lot of the video posts from this class again, and reviewing some old and new posts. I wish I had brought us together a bit more. A lot of this asynchronous stuff is fine, but few things compare to a live conversation....

    d.i.

    ReplyDelete