Today, I watched a story about a teacher in PA who posted on her blog some feelings about students. It seems teachers have always been held to a higher standard. Unlike Charles Barkley, I know I am a role model to my students and accept it. I need to teach students how to use netiquette and the consequence of their posts. This teacher was a bit smarter than this one in Wake County last year, who almost stooped into the gutter as much as her kids.
Still, how can a person express their opinion whether it be about politics or professional grievances? Where does free speech intersect with company policy? This is something that may have to be decided in the courts. Cedars Sinai Park Nursing Home has a policy in their social media handbook that sums up what people need to keep in mind.
Remember that personal is not the same thing as private.
So, don't say anything online that you wouldn't be
comfortable seeing quoted on CNN, being asked about
by your mother or having to justify to your boss.
That being said, a list of several companies/organizations's social media policies reminds employees to use it for good and not for evil. Fact is, you are responsible for what you post about work and it can have repercussions. My work is teaching kids academics, skills, and character. Sure, I can gripe about work. I just keep it to a few select individuals by word of mouth. Untraceable.
Also, don't get your work account confused with your personal accounts.
No comments:
Post a Comment