Monday, February 14, 2011

Barbie and Ken in Web 2.0

So maybe you saw my wordle of what qualifications go into web 2.0.  One word that popped out was marketing in bold, brown letters.  Today on NPR, they told of the genius of Mattel marketing.  Remember Barbie and Ken broke up in 2004?  Ken has been using social media, trying to meet a new girlfriend or pine over Barbie and woo her back.  This campaign took place over Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook (which conveniently lists all their marketing partners),  Barbie's also blogged about it.  Ken even checked in on Foursquare.  They have even enlisted Hulu in a reality dating show called "Genuine Ken".


Of course, you can always go to their page:  BarbieandKen.com.  All that and a song to download!


Gag me with a spoon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm gagging too! I have to admit the marketing effort is incredibly clever. I read about this a couple of days ago. I'll be interested in learning how well this marketing scheme works out. When the two of them reunite and develop a Facebook and Twitter following it will create at least a job or two to manage their social media activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, definitely with a spoon, or even a spork perhaps...

    I heard the same article. About the same time that guy got fired for tweeting about the reporter assualted in egypt... gotta be careful with instant communications!

    ReplyDelete