Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wikimedia- WikiFun

Looked at all the projects underneath the Wikimedia umbrella,  Sure, some of it I was familiar with, like wikiquotes.  I use that for lesson planning.  When studying a group of historical people such as the Constitutional Convention or the Russian Revolution, getting some quotes from each principal player, printing them out without the person's name on them, makes a great categorization lesson.

I also played around a bit more with Wikisource.  It had books that are readily available elsewhere, such as Upton Sinclair's The Jungle.  But the one thing I liked was the different type of sources.  When searching for Thomas Jefferson, it pulled up his inaugural speeches and other historical speeches and his autobiography, which I didn't even know existed.  This could help with lesson planning.

Overall, just fun just to cruise the sites and pick up some good stuff.

1 comment:

  1. I think Wikisource is a great resource! I hadn't thought of looking for historical speeches -- that's a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete