Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Private Universe

When asked what causes the the seasons and the phases of the moon, some of our best and brightest couldn't answer correctly.  Personally, I teach about the causes of the seasons to my students.  I consulted textbooks and came up with visual materials (OK, my fist and my globe).  I find textbooks a little more trustworthy than the net.  It makes me wonder about my teaching methods and how other cultures teach this concept.


Using the web may just be a bit better than using my fist.  For example, if I were to assign the students to post this as a wiki, they might or might not get it correct.  It also brings up the concept of: are we teaching skills or facts?  We tend to focus a lot on skills.  Web 2.0 can figure offer both avenues.  It allows for differentiated instruction that could reach the Dimensions of Learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment